March 30, 2016 by Anas Mustafa
Carbon monoxide is an odourless, tasteless and colorless gas that can be deadly if you’re not careful. And too much of it can lead to carbon monoxide poisoning.
If you’re exposed to an excessive quantity of carbon monoxide, your body’s red blood cells will exchange oxygen with carbon monoxide — and if this happens you may face serious health problems, including critical tissue damage, brain damage, and even death.
Read on for information on everything you need to know about carbon monoxide poisoning. Many people die needlessly each year as a result of accidents stemming from carbon monoxide. The more you know, the less likely you’ll fall victim.
When it comes to carbon monoxide poisoning, it pays to know what the symptoms are. Symptoms include, but are not limited to, headaches, blurred vision, dizziness and vomiting. In the event that you believe you might have carbon monoxide poisoning, then you need to act quickly by seeking out medical attention.
Those Most at Risk
Carbon monoxide poisoning is something that everyone should be mindful of, but there are certain demographics that should be particularly mindful of the condition. For instance, older adults who get carbon monoxide poisoning could be more likely than younger people to get brain damage.
As well children, who tend to take more breaths than older people, could be more at risk in a situation where there are high levels of carbon monoxide gas. Even the unborn are at risk when it comes to carbon monoxide. For instance, fetal blood cells absorb carbon monoxide at a higher rate than adult blood cells. Because of this, unborn children run a greater risk of harm in the event of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Carbon monoxide poisoning can lead to a wide range of health problems. For instance, people who get the condition can end up with irreversible brain or heart damage. It can also be fatal.
As the adage goes, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. And fortunately there are things you can do to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning. First things first, install a carbon monoxide detector on every level of your home so that you can get an audible alert if levels are dangerously high.
At Canadian Security Professionals, we have carbon monoxide detectors to help you and your family stay safe. Contact our team of specialists for more information.
Head Office Address:
911 Golf Links Road #114,
Ancaster, ON L9K 1H9
Hours of Operation:
Monday to Thursday: 8:00 AM to 9:00 PM
Friday: 8:00 AM to 7:00 PM
Saturday: 11:00 AM to 4:00 PM (EST)
Press option 1 to reach our 24/7 Monitoring Centres